Some days you’re the windshield, some days you’re the bug

It’s 10 am. I’m still in bed. I hear the rain outside. Gray skies forecast for another week.

Yesterday was awesome. Today? Not so much. Nausea, cramping muscles and wrapped up in an electric blanket. I didn’t sleep well so I’m feeling foggy.

It’s days like this that it helps me to remember these 10 things that the Bible tells me about my God.

1. He cares about me (Romans 5:6-8)
2. He is involved in my life (Psalm 139:1-18)
3. He’s not mad (Luke 15:11-24)
4. He doesn’t make bad things happen to me (Romans 8:28)
5. He’s on my side (Romans 8:31-32)
6. He wants to be my friend (John 15:13-15)
7. He has good plans for me even through tough times (Jeremiah 29:11)
8. He hears my prayers (Psalm 4:3)
9. He’s not hiding Himself (Psalm 22:24)
10. He loves me and doesn’t condemn me (John 3:16-17)

Next Monday I’ll be at Lahey Clinic. I’m nervous about that but also thankful they are getting me in so quickly.

Yesterday I read a story of a man who had a liver transplant and is doing well now. But one thing did discourage me. It said he “couldn’t do all the things he used to do” before his transplant. I’m wondering what quality of life I will have if I do receive a transplant. Will I be a burden to my wife and kids the rest of my life? Will I be able to work and contribute?

Though I’ve joked about wanting to ride around on one of those electric scooters, I really am not at all excited about the prospect.

I guess it’s time to do some research…

Not my will …

About Scott Linscott

Living life to the fullest, walking in the dust of my Rabbi, creating art through photography and written word, speaking words of hope and encouragement at conferences, workshops, church and civic gatherings.
This entry was posted in Christianity, church planting, discouragement, Fatty Liver Disease, Find God, Jesus, ministry, NASH, organ donation, religion. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Some days you’re the windshield, some days you’re the bug

1. Joyce Pelletier says:

So many are praying for you, Scott! Our small group is remembering to lift you up before God’s throne.

2. Hal Cushing says:

Don’t worry about not being able to do the same things after transplant…hopefully not under electric blanket trying to warm up, feeling like you are falling apart while a burden to everybody around you.

3. Alicia Berglund says:

Just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and we are praying for you.

4. aunt Betty says:

think only happy and good things. God is always with us. sometime I know I feel his hand on my shoulder and I pat it with great Joy and Love.

5. Debbie Wenzel says:

Scott,
    Sorry that today is a bug day. The Lord recently taught me the following:
    Attitude and outlook are a choice. I can choose to look at my Savior standing in the midst of my bleak circumstances, letting my circumstances color my view of him, or I can stand beside my Savior and let him shine light on my circumstances. My choice will make all the difference in my attitude and outlook.
    I am so happy for you, that you know this truth and are making the choice to stand beside Jesus.
    I am praying that you have more windshield days. Remember that your trip to Boston and the appointment is going to take A LOT of energy, for you and anyone with you. Amelia and I have done several transplant clinic days together, they are draining. Be sure to give yourself rest this week, even on those good days.
    Meanwhile, if you haven’t found them already, here are a couple of web sites to peruse: unos.org United Network for Organ Sharing-governing group for
    where organs go in the US, unless a directed donation.
    ntafund.org National Transplant Assistance Fund-you can set up a fund
    to pay for medical and medically related expenses (like
    travel to Boston, & hotels there) People can donate to the
    fund and receive a tax deduction, and they can donate
    anonymously if they want to. The fund can continue to be
    used post transplant as well.
    As to being a burden, your life will most assuredly change; it already has. The workload of your home may change in the short or long term. You will need to be taken care of for a time. You may have a complete recovery, or you may have some permanent changes that require your family and friends to make changes to help you. With the two transplants Amelia’s had, we’ve seen all of this. Before her second transplant, I was in CA caring for her for 3 months and one more after. It was exhausting and at times heartbreaking; it was NEVER a burden.
    debbie wenzel

6. Kevin Whittemore says:

Praying!

7. Gina says:

Scott, thank you for the verses.

Praying for you.

I can’t imagine you would EVER be a burden to anyone.

Gina

What are you thinking? Tell me!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s