We’ve been visiting area churches. It’s been a learning experience. This morning we spent 45 minutes trying to find a particular church before we finally gave up and headed home. I’m thinking most people won’t try that hard. We are motivated visitors and we quit.
Can people find your gathering place? Here are some MUSTS that you have to make sure of in order to help them succeed.
1) Does your website work? (Go ahead, check it right now. I’ll wait.) Is it compatible with PC, Apple and mobile devices?
2) Is the listed address on your website correct and on the first page?
3) Do you have a clear link to directions? (Has anyone ever tried following them?)
4) Are your service time correct and on the main page and directions page?
5) Do you have simple and visible signs at your location?
6) If you’ve moved, are all online listings updated with the new address? (Search for your church on Google to see what others see.)
This morning we set out to meet friends at a nearby church. Their website was blank but yellow pages.com listed their address and provided a map. Unfortunately for us, it was the church’s old address.
We texted our friends to ask “Where the heck is this place?”
They told us it moved across town and to look for “a little white sign.” Since we were already 20 minutes late and another 15 minutes away, we headed home frustrated.